Sometimes people forget that not all moisturisers suit everyone, which is why we often hear people complaining that their moisturiser is making their skin greasy, doesn’t help their dry skin, is too thick, irritates their skin or causes skin problems to flare up. We usually find that once people work out which kind of moisturiser to use, these problems go away and they are left with soft, hydrated skin.
We know it can be confusing, so to help you out, we’ve compiled a list of skin types, and which moisturisers would suit them – including both face and body moisturisers. For best results, we always recommend pairing a moisturiser with a good scrub and gentle cleanser.
And remember, moisturising is essential for women AND men! We’ve included a couple of products aimed specifically at men, but that doesn’t mean women can’t use these products, and it certainly doesn’t mean that men can ONLY use these products!
All the skincare products stocked in Jan de Vries are natural, so you don’t need to worry about harming your skin with harsh chemicals.
Dry skin is characterised by dry, flaky patches, a feeling of tightness and often some itching and irritation. This skin type needs a deep, nourishing moisturiser to restore, protect and hydrate. Often night creams are beneficial, as these let your skin absorb moisture while you sleep, so you can go about your day without a thick layer of moisturiser on.
People with dry skin tend to benefit from creams, butters and oils.
For dry skin we recommend:
- Sukin Moisture Restoring Night Cream (£16.28). This intensive moisturiser contains rose hip oil, avocado oil, Shea butter and vitamin E for deep nourishment and hydration. It is vegan and cruelty-free too!
- Salcura Omega-rich Face Hydrator (£13.99). This daily moisturiser contains Sea Buckthorn, jojoba oil, lavender and chamomile to nourish and soothe the skin, without feeling heavy or greasy.
- Pacifica Island Vanilla Body Butter (14.95). This rich, creamy body butter contains shea butter, almond oil and safflower oil to hydrate your body, plus it's got an amazing smell!
Oily skin is generally characterised by large pores and shiny skin that often feels greasy to touch. People with oily skin often avoid moisturising for fear that it will make their oily skin worse, but it is actually important to moisturise, because when the skin becomes dry it can sometimes overcompensate by producing excess oil, causing oily skin.
You just have to make sure you use the right kind of moisturiser – it should be light and oil free, and often gels are the best. You should avoid heavy creams and butters.
Since oily skin only really affects the face, we recommend these facial moisturisers:
- Andalou Naturals Acai plus White Tea Oil-Free Moisturiser (£16.95). This gel-cream is perfect for oily skin or active people. It provides light hydration, a mattifying effect and antioxidant action. This product is vegan and cruelty free.
- Alba Botanica Acnedote Acne Oil Control Lotion (£7.99). This lotion hydrates skin and has a mattifying effect, leaving skin soft and oil free. It also helps fight acne, which can be a side effect of oily skin.
Sensitive skin is characterised by the appearance of red patches, itchy skin or irritated skin, particularly after using cosmetics and skincare products. This skin type should be moisturised to prevent it becoming drier and more irritated, but it is important to use a moisturiser with as few irritants in it as possible.
The skincare products stocked at Jan de Vries are all natural, so most of the moisturisers listed on this page should actually be suitable for sensitive skin.
For extra-sensitive skin we recommend:
- Sukin Sensitive Facial Moisturiser (£8.12), which contains Shea butter, aloe vera and chamomile to soothe sensitive skin, as well as jojoba, rose hip and sesame oils to hydrate. This product is 100% natural, vegan and cruelty-free.
- Green People Hand and Body Lotion (£21.00). This hand and body lotion is specifically tailored for people with sensitive skin. Scent free and free from harsh chemicals, this product contains ingredients like Shea butter and jojoba oil to nourish and hydrate, as well as aloe vera and chamomile to soothe sensitive skin.
- Green People Homme 3 Cool Down Moisturiser (£15.00). This moisturiser for men cools and soothes the skin with aloe vera and green tea, and hydrates with shea butter.
- Jason Aloe Vera Body Lotion (£6.99). This contains concentrated, deeply soothing aloe vera to relieve sensitive, irritated skin and delivers much-needed moisture. This product is cruelty-free and organic.
Problem skin is defined by conditions such as acne, eczema or psoriasis. It is important to moisturise this skin type to promote overall skin health, but these conditions often flare up when chemical products are applied to the skin.
Products for this skin type should be chemical-free and gentle on the skin. For acne you should avoid heavy creams and butters. Products for problem skin will often be clearly labelled.
For problem skin we recommend:
- Salcura Zeoderm Skin Repair Moisturiser (£9.99). This great product contains linseed to reduce redness and inflammation, borage to help hydrate the skin and their patented Zeomaz to repair damaged skin.
- Green People Homme 3 Cool Down Moisturiser (£15.00). A double mention for this product! Not only is this moisturiser suitable for sensitive skin, but it's also suitable for acne, psoriasis and eczema-prone skin.
- Salcura Bioskin Junior Bath Milk (£9.99). This bath milk is aimed at children, but can be used by adults with problems such as acne, dermatitis, eczema and psoriasis. It hydrates and soothes skin at the same time.
Ageing skin is prone to wrinkling, loss of elasticity and loss of strength and fullness. For this skin type you need a moisturiser rich in antioxidants and strengthening ingredients to restore elasticity and improve firmness. Skin products for ageing skin are also often clearly labelled.
For ageing skin we recommend:
- Sukin rose hip oil (£14.24). This fantastic product came second in the BeautyHeaven Best In Beauty Awards 2014 Best Age Management category, beaten only by an Estee Lauder product, showing that it competes with high-end brands. It contains powerful antioxidants, fatty acids, vitamin E and beta-carotene to protect, repair and prevent damage to skin cells. This product is vegan and cruelty-free.
- Skin Blossom Age Resist Moisturiser (£7.95). This anti-aging product contains Argan oil which is rich in antioxidants, as well as Shea butter and jojoba oil for luxurious hydration. This product is certified organic and vegan.
- Antipodes Rejoice Light Facial Day Cream (£28.99). Antipodes are renowned for their anti-ageing products, and this day cream is no exception! It helps to boost collagen in the skin to keep it firm and supple.
People who are exposed to extreme weather may need to give their skin a bit of extra attention, as the skin can be easily affected by the environment around us. This includes people who live in very cold, hot, sunny or windy places, people who spend a lot of time outdoors, and people take part in snowsports. Moisturising will help prevent dry skin and soothe irritated, sun burnt or wind burnt skin.
- Weleda Calendula Weather Protection Cream (£8.95). This balm provides protection against the elements, and though it is aimed at babies, we think it’s equally perfect for adult skin. Almond oil and lanolin nourish the skin and promote its natural protective barrier, while calendula soothes the skin.
- Aloe Pura Aloe Vera Gel with Vitamins A, C and E (£5.57). Aloe vera is great for soothing irritated skin, inflamed skin, dry skin, sunburn, wind burn and prickly heat, and the added vitamins in this product help to repair damage.
People with generally normal, healthy skin, free from excessive dryness, oiliness, sensitivity or conditions, should still moisturise to maintain their good skin health and prevent these problems from developing.
Look for a light, daily moisturiser to keep your skin topped up.
For people with normal skin, we recommend:
- Sukin Facial Moisturiser (£8.12). This lightweight cream nourishes, hydrates and softens skin with ingredients like aloe vera, nettle, jojoba oil and avocado oil. It is cruelty-free and vegan.
- Weleda Moisture Cream for Men (£14.95). This lightweight cream is aimed at men, and provides daily hydration that absorbs quickly into the skin. With nourishing ingredients such as jojoba oil, witch hazel and beeswax.
Combination skin is usually the hardest skin type to cater products for, since it is characterised by both areas of oily skin (usually the forehead and chin) and patches of dry skin (often the cheeks and tip of the nose).
There are two options for moisturising combination skin. You could use products designed for oily skin, since these will moisturise the dry sections without exacerbating the oily sections. Or you can buy two separate products, one for oily skin and one for dry skin, and use them on the different parts of your face.