Many of us turn to straighteners to ease unruly strands of hair into a smooth, tidy style. However, as I’m sure you are aware the heat from straighteners can damage the health and appearance of the hair and so it is necessary to use some kind of heat protection spray before styling. There are plenty of products on the market for this purpose but in this blog I’m focusing on hair serum and whether or not it can be applied to the hair before straightening.
What is hair serum?
Hair serum is a liquid-based treatment that gives each fibre of hair a protective layer. This has a whole list of benefits (just look at the number I’ve listed below!) that will result in enviable style!
Benefits of using hair serum
- Gives hair a visible shine – hair serum adds a smooth, protective layer which reflects light and gives the hair a natural shine
- Can be used as a styling agent – whether you wish to get small, unruly strands of hair under control or tease your hair into a neat bun, hair serum will help!
- Encourages smooth, straight strands of hair - for some people this may actually take away the need to use straighteners
- Calms frizz – this makes it ideal if your hair is prone to frizzing when the temperature is warm so next time you’re going on holiday you may want to add a bottle to your toiletry bag!
- Promotes voluminous hair – this makes the product ideal if you are worried your hair is a little lacklustre
- Acts as a detangler – if windy weather or a night spent tossing and turning shifts your hair into a knotty mess, hair serum can again prove beneficial
- Improves the health of the hair – hair serum works to repair damaged strands.
Can hair serum be used as heat protection?
As hair serum adds a protective layer to the hair, if you go on to use straighteners after applying the product it could help to prevent your hair from the damage caused by heat. Also, by improving the health of the hair, serum also makes it more resilient to heat.
That being said, if your hair serum isn’t specifically indicated as a heat protection product you may want to give your hair an extra barrier from the warm temperatures emitted from straighteners with an additional product.
Argan oil for example, can defend against heat but it also contains omega-6 and vitamin E which encourages soft, healthy hair. Here at Jan de Vries our favourite Argan Oil is provided by John Masters as they use absolutely no other ingredients in the product – it is simply 100% pure Argan Oil.
How to apply hair serum
Hair serum can be applied to either wet or dry hair, depending on what you are using it for (above I have listed the different roles hair serum plays in maintaining the hair).
If you wish to use serum as a styling agent then simply rub a small amount between your hands and then rub through your hair to get the look you want.
Conditioning is another popular use for hair serum but in this instance work a small amount of product into damp, towel-dried hair. Put lots of attention into conditioning the ends of your hair as this is the driest area of the hair, and the area that’s most prone to damage too. Once in the serum doesn’t need to be washed out and you can continue to style your hair as normal.
When you are using hair serum before straightening, drop a little in your hands and then rub through your hair. At this stage you could use a comb to distribute it evenly throughout the hair and to work out any tangles.
Looking for a hair serum?
If you haven’t used serum before or are just wondering what product to use, I’d recommend you turn to Green People’s Hair Serum with Quinoa and Avocado. Avocado is rich in antioxidants that work to condition the hair whilst the quinoa encourages volume and shine. As this product makes use of natural ingredients it is suitable for sensitive scalps, as well as all the various hair types. So, now you know the benefits of hair serum, as well as how to use it, why not give it a try yourself?