Hair serum has grown in popularity recently as it has such a wide range of benefits for the hair. Wondering what these benefits are? Well, I take a look in this blog so read on to find out more…
What is hair serum?
Hair serum is a light liquid that is most often used to help style the hair. Unlike other styling agents such as hairspray and mousse, serum will not leave the hair looking greasy or sticky, plus this ability to style the hair means that for some it even takes away the need to use straighteners.
Still, many hair serums make use of harsh ingredients that, when used continuously, will not do the health of the hair much good. So, as an alternative it is always best to opt for something a little more natural.
Here at Jan de Vries we are big fans of Green People. Their Quinoa and Avocado Hair Serum is packed with natural ingredients and absolutely no parabens, artificial fragrances or SLS which can strip natural oils from the hair leaving it dry and limp. Instead the avocado is rich in antioxidants which work to condition the hair whilst the addition of quinoa encourages volume and shine. What’s more these nutrient-rich ingredients are also suitable for all hair and skin types, sensitive or otherwise.
4 benefits of using hair serum
So, you’re thinking about trying hair serum out for yourself, you’ve had a look at what it is and have browsed the products on the market but why should you use it every day? What unique benefits does it hold?
- Tackles frizz - well, first of all serum adds a protective layer to the hair which helps to tame flyaway hairs
- Adds shine – this protective layer also reflects light to give the hair an attractive shine
- Can be used to style the hair - as I’ve already mentioned, serum is a great styling agent so, whether you are looking to achieve a straighter style or you want to ease strands into a tight, sophisticated bun, this is the product to try!
- Helps condition the hair – serum can also be used as a leave-in conditionerwhich makes the hair smoother and softer.
How do you use hair serum?
My colleague Joanna has written a blog offering a step-by-step guide on how to use hair serum. However, for now here are a few tips to get you started:
- You can apply serum to either wet or dry hair
- Most of the time you will only need to use a small amount of hair serum as a little goes a long way, plus too much of the product will make the hair look greasy
- Make sure the serum is distributed evenly throughout your hair
- Take your time massaging the product into the ends of your hair as this area is the most prone to damage (I’m thinking split ends, dryness, breakages etc.)
- Allow the product to soak into your hair for a few minutes after it has been applied
- If you want to use heat and after apply hair serum I’d recommend you read my colleague Sam’s blog ‘Can I use hair serum before straightening?’